…was, an enigma, or at least
something of one, to me,
a beauty, that I’d be tickled by
and spend an actress-obsessing afternoon over,
but never really come to terms with,
never really see in a full light.
Her choices of roles always felt under her potential,
as did her choices in men, but
in a good way;
he was the kind of husband
that gave you the confidence
that you could get with a girl like
Brittany Murphy,
and those were the kind of movies
that one would have no reason NOT
to be proud of.
But she’s dead, gone for infinity,
I guess such ideals
remain out of reach,
only to be enjoyed in
passing
Notes: Actress Brittany Murphy passed away Sunday at the age of 32...this was written as a quick-fix coping mechanism, I suppose. I was listening to some random Dead Milkmen song called "Two Feet Off the Ground" (which I had never heard before) and it struck a nerve, and then I started writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know how many of my suggestions would alter the tone in a negative way, but you know enough to use discretion. I'd consider revising the passive voice - "that I'd be tickled by" - into active voice - e.g. "that tickled me." I'd also kick out the "really" in lines 5 and 6. Of course, the poem is conversational in tone as it is, and perhaps that's what you're going for.
ReplyDelete